FOCUS Minnesota’s programs have continued to grow since we arrived in St. Paul’s Capitol Rice neighborhood a little more than a year ago. We officially opened our doors for service in June, and are now seeing clients most days of the week.
FOCUS’s work is only sustainable through the work of volunteers, and it is with this in mind that we are reaching out to ask for your time.
Here are some parameters to think about as you consider becoming a volunteer:
Join a Team
Each of our programs has a team of wonderful volunteers. Based on your interest and availability (days, evenings, weekends), you’ll be fully trained and will make a great addition to any of our teams. Consider inviting a friend to join with you.
Choose an Activity that Suits You
Some volunteers work directly with clients and others do “back of the house” activities in preparation for serving. Choose what fits you best.
Set Regular Hours
When we can count on your presence, we’re better able to serve our clients. Consider committing 2-4 hours per week, or one event per month.
Be Open Minded
Sometimes it’s quiet in the FOCUS House and sometimes it’s crazy and hectic! Whatever the situation, be willing to do something other than what you thought you’d be doing.
Here’s a quick summary of direct program and “back of the house” needs.
Work Directly with Clients
● Clothes Closet: Open every Wednesday, 11am-2pm, and Thursday, 4-7pm.
● Food Shelf: Open 2nd & 4th Saturdays of each month, 10-11:30am. (Volunteers come at 9:15am.)
● Sunday Meals: First 4 Sundays of each month, 5-8pm. (After a successful trial period, we have chosen to extend this program! We’re now looking for weekly meal providers as well as Meal Managers to coordinate activity immediately before and during meals.)
Back of the House Jobs
● Sort Clothes Closet Donations: Mondays and Thursdays, 11am-2pm.
● Assemble Sandwiches: Thursdays, 11am-1pm.
● At Your Convenience Needs: Shop for program or administrative supplies, serve as an IT consultant, divide large food items (flour, sugar, rice, etc) into smaller bags for Food Shelf distribution, do community outreach, etc.
FOCUS Minnesota is a local center of FOCUS North America, a national 501c3 nonprofit organization.